Smith-Hutson Scholarship Program
The Smith-Hutson Scholarship Program is dedicated to providing educational opportunities to prospective students who can demonstrate financial need and have academic potential. The Smith-Hutson Scholarship Program was established in 1996 by an anonymous donor. Modeled after the scholarship program supported through the Terry Foundation, the Smith-Hutson Scholarship program has grown to be the most generous and prolific scholarship program offered at Sam Houston State University.
Originally targeting students graduating from high schools in rural Texas, the program now welcomes applicants statewide. Since its establishment, hundreds of students have received a Smith-Hutson Scholarship. Forming a cohort, the graduate rate of Smith-Hutson scholars far exceeds that of the university as a whole. The program offers its scholars more than just funding. The Smith-Hutson scholars have access to tutoring, mentoring from upper classmen, and the opportunity to develop a professional relationship with university leadership.
Smith-Hutson Scholarship recipients are selected by a committee which includes representatives of the University and those named by the Donor. The following criteria are applied. Applicants must:
- be a resident of the state of Texas,
- satisfy admission requirements of Sam Houston State University,
- be an entering freshman or a transfer student from a Texas community college* and pursuing a baccalaureate degree from Sam Houston State University,
- demonstrate financial need,
- provide a personal essay describing career goals (maximum two pages, double-spaced),
- provide two letters of recommendation from non-family members addressing academic potential and/or financial need (it is preferable that at least one of these letters come from a teacher of English or Mathematics in whose class(es) the student was enrolled in the last year),
- be unmarried with no children (does not apply to transfer students), and
- be available for a personal interview during the period of April 17 or 18, 2017. The interview will be held in Huntsville, TX on the SHSU campus.
* In 2007, the Smith-Hutson Scholarship Program created a scholarship for transfer students from Texas community colleges to Sam Houston State University. These students must have completed the first two years of their undergraduate degree and plan to pursue a baccalaureate degree at SHSU. Funding for this scholarship is renewable for a second year if student maintains the requirements set forth by the scholarship program.